The young adult women and I just enjoyed one of the best studies together - "Who I am in Christ."
We read Scripture, we hear a thousand sermons, we sing countless songs of praise ... and yet, we do not know who we are ... our position ... our promises ... and our rights as children of God. And because we do not know them, we believe the lies satan whispers in our ears, and we have nothing to fight back with.
We have to know who our God is! We have to know how He works! And we have to know the POWER we have as His children.
There are only two reasons a Christian cannot thwart the attacks of satan - the very one who prowls about seeking to devour and destroy us. 1) Ignorance of what God says in His Word, and/or 2) We do not believe His promises based on our "feelings" at the moment.
Feelings do.not.matter! We do not need to "feel" God to believe He will do what He says He will do. We do not need signs and confirmation or 'peace' to be obedient. We either believe God is who He says He is - or we don't. GOD's TRUTH is God's TRUTH. Regardless of how we feel. We do not have to understand it, or even like it, but we must trust, in full surrender, the God of creation. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is the way, the truth, and the life. And hasn't He proven Himself faithful over and over again? In your life. In mine? God is not human, that He should lie, not a human being, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill? Numbers 23:19 We have to know this God!
And once we know Him, we can finally understand how He sees us. We can claim His promises. We can rest in the security He offers His children.
We must learn, identify, and understand who we are in Christ. We must see ourselves in the light of God's Word - not the image the world has created for us. We need to claim out loud, "I am who God says I am, regardless of how I feel about myself. Regardless of what others tell me I am, or am not. Nothing, and no one, can change the absolute TRUTH of God's Word!"
But to get to this point, you have to dig in the Word, search the Scriptures, and find out first hand what God says ... who He says YOU are. And then - believe Him.
I challenge you to spend the next week reading through this great list of God's truths and promises about His children. If you have given your life to the Lord Jesus Christ, you are HIS, forever. And all of these promises are true - and even better - they are YOURS!
I AM GOD’S…
· possession Genesis 17:8/ 1Cor 6:20
· child John 1:12
· workmanship Ephesians 2:10
· friend James 2:23
· co-laborer 1 Timothy 5:18
· witness Acts 1:8
· soldier 2 Timothy 2:3
· chosen Ephesians 1:4
· beloved Romans 1:7/ 2 Thess 2:13
· precious jewel Malachi 3:17
I HAVE BEEN…
· redeemed by the blood Rev 5:9
· set free from sin /condemnation Rom 8:1-2
· chosen before foundation of world Eph 1:4
· washed in the blood of the Lamb Rev 1:5
· given a sound mind 2 Timothy 1:7
· given the Holy Spirit 2 Cor 1:22
· adopted into God’s family Romans 8:15
· given great and precious promises 2 Pet 1:4
· given access to God Ephesians 3:12
· complete in him Colossians 2:10
· free forever from sin’s power Romans 6:14
· loved eternally 1 Peter 1:5
· eternally kept in the palm of his hand Jn 10:29
· kept from falling Jude 1:24
· one with the Lord 1 Cor 6:17
· seated in heavenly places Eph 1:3
· light in the darkness Matthew 5:14
· his sheep Ps 23 / Psalms 100:3/ John 10:14
· a citizen of heaven 1 Peter 2:11
· hidden with Christ in God Psalms 32:7
· protected from the evil one 1 John 5:18
· secure in Christ Jn 10:28-29
· covered by blood of Jesus Rev 12:11, 1 Pet 1:19
· sheltered under his wing Psalms 91:4
· access to the Father Romans 5:2
· a home in heaven waiting for me John 14:1-2
· a living hope 1 Peter 1:3
· an anchor to my soul Hebrews 6:19
· a hope that is sure and steadfast Heb 6:19
· the mind of Christ 1 Cor 2:16
· peace with God Romans 5:1
· do all things through Christ Phil 4:13
· find mercy and grace to help Heb 4:16
· come boldly to the throne of grace Heb 4:16
· pray always and everywhere Luke 21:36
· defeat (overcome) the enemy Rev 12:11
· be separated from God’s love Rom 8:35-39
· be moved Psalms 16:8
· be taken out of my Father’s hand John 10:29
· be condemned 1 Cor 11:32